3 McKean Ave
P.O. BOX 211
Charleroi, Pa. 15022
Outdoor Water and Money-Saving Tips for Summer
- Water your lawn when it needs it. An easy way to tell if your lawn needs water is to simply walk across the grass. If you leave footprints, its time to water.
- Make the most of your watering by watering in the early morning. As much as 30% of water can be lost to evaporation by watering midday.
- Set your lawn mower one notch higher to make your lawn more drought-tolerant
- Use drip irrigation hoses to water plants, and water in the early morning or evening.
- Use a broom instead of hose to clean your sidewalk, driveway, or patio.
- Plant appropriately for your local climate. check with local nurseries for non-invasive, drought-tolerant plant.
- Check all toilets and faucets! Leaky toilets and faucets are the biggest cause of wasted water, resulting in large water bills.
- The most common source of leaks is the toilet. Check for leaks by placing a few drops of food coloring in the tank, if after 45 minutes the dye appears in the bowl, the toilet has a leak.
- Leaky toilets can usually be repaired inexpensively.
- Toilets can account for almost 30% of all indoor water use, more than any other fixture or appliance.